About: The Worker Institute, Cornell-ILR Buffalo, invites you to join a discussion about how workers are affected by the “on-demand” or "gig" economy. The conversation will explore the increasingly common practice of employers hiring workers as contractors rather than employees and how that impacts independent contractors, on-call workers, prison labor, and migrant workers.
Panelists discuss the health and safety issues that impact temporary workers as well as labor's response to new sector of work. The conversation will end by exploring potential policy responses to protect "gig-workers rights" and next steps.
* Gorden DeLeys, Compliance Assistance Specialist, OSHA
* Brian Brown-Cashdollar, Program Director at WNYCOSH
* Art Wheaton, Director, Western NY Labor and Environmental Programs, The Worker Institute, Cornell University,
* Nellie Brown, MS, CIH, Director of Workplace Health & Safety Programs, The Worker Institute, Cornell University
* Ileen DeVault, Academic Director, The Worker Institute, Cornell University